Hempstead Justice Court Rules
By Order of Village Justice Paul R. Delle
Court sessions are held every Wednesday at the following time intervals:
- 9 a.m. to no admittance after 10:15 a.m.
- 1 p.m. to no admittance after 2:15 p.m.
- 6 p.m. to no admittance after 7:15 p.m.
If you have any questions please contact the Village Justice Court at 516-478-6500.
- All attorneys and defendants must be seated in the courtroom prior to the close of check-in time.
- No one will be added to the calendar after the close of check-in time. No exceptions.
- All motions must be in writing with the original filed with the court.
- Any requests for an adjournment should be in writing and submitted at least one week before their scheduled court date. Litigants should confirm that the request was received and granted in advance of a scheduled court date.
- Attorneys who adjourn due to engagement of counsel must comply with part 125 of the Rules of the Chief Administrative Judge. Submissions via facsimile are not permitted without leave of the Court.
- Any requests to vacate a Default Judgment must be done by motion in writing or by stipulation signed by both parties and So Ordered by the Chief Judge (AKB).
- Defendants under the age of 18 must appear with a parent or legal guardian, with proof of relation.
- Requests for hardship, assigned counsel or community service must be accompanied by original documentation of hardship, such as documentation from the Department of Social Services, New York State Department of Labor/Unemployment, proof of income, proof of child support payments/receipts, disability benefits, proof of rent/mortgage.
- The court will only accept Original Documents. Original Documents will be returned to litigants.
- Attorneys are permitted to pay fines with attorney checks.
- Trials and Special Hearing adjournments are only allowed with the permission of the Judge.
Proper attire must be worn at all times inside the courtroom. Proper Attire includes:
- No bare chest
- No bare feet
- No clothing that reveals undergarments
- No halter tops
- No hats, scarves or other head covers unless for religious purposes
- No low cut shirts or tops
- No short skirts
- No shorts
- No uniforms of any kind